Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Why I Refuse To Work Just To Pay The Bills


Bloody hell mate, even here in Australia, or Straya, that's meant to be laid back, I get fired up my poor souls who's only purpose in life is to work just to pay the bills. Is that all? I understand bill payments are an inevitable part of adulthood unless you decide to run away and become a nun (tempting I know), but realistically you can't escape bills (hurts to write that). And you have to work in a job you hate, love or in between to make those payments.

But, and this is a big but, if your sole (or soul hey?) purpose to work is just to pay the bills you're gonna have a bloody miserable life mate. Harsh? Probably. Controversial? Definitely. But I personally REFUSE to settle for a life of getting up, commuting, work, return home, paying (or burning) a bill and complaining on Facebook. Ugh.
And to the fellas and ladies in my country, this is my open letter to y'all: you're in Australia mate, you're supposed to hit the great outdoors, greet some kangaroos and see the sea for free! Get out there mate and get livin like barry!

In Australia, with livable climates, liveable wages, a playground called the great outdoors, you can't afford to live a life of nothing but work and bills. You should be laid back cus this is Straya mayte. But wherever in the world you live, as most of you ladies and fellas are in the States, you should always ALWAYS go to work with a PURPOSE. Bill payments are simply NOT reason enough to hit the cubicle.

Even if your budget is tight and have no disposable income after bills (I feel for you, it must suck not being able to travel...), the work you do to pay those bills should still be for a bloody good reason. Don't tell me you're doing what you hate to pay the bills you hate. You could be doing what you hate, to get you the skills and experience required to branch out into a job you love... y'know...
Work and bills, not to bloody mention, are only a part of your damn life! Y'know, you also got champagne, (or beer if you're a bloody basic bloke/bitch), the donut store you walked 5000 miles and befriended the beloved Google maps to get to...






I refuse to settle for a life that is centred around working just to pass the exams of can-you-pay-the-bills-this-month-or-nawt... NO. F*%K NO!
You were born for a much more exciting and meaningful life that that. You were born to paraglide in the Norwegian fjords, stuff your face to explosion in NYC and play the hygge game 24/7 with all the locals in Denmark. You were born to travel the world. Of course, travelling costs money, so you have to work for it first. But then you will have a REAL REASON to work; you answer calls now so you can catch a plane and sky dive in the swiss alps and stuff your face with pastries in Paris later. Or if you're ready for a settled life, build your house into a home with candles, flowers, music and everything you need but nothing more. Be cosy as heck.
Or build a home while scooting off to see the world at once. Badge of honour mate!
So, when you're in the office typing reports, have something meaningful behind it all. Do it now so you can later sip cocktails on the bali beaches, island hop around greece and party until the sunrise on a yaught in croatia.
Don't you bloody dare risk clinical depression because you chose to live a life of nothing but work and bills. That is a fatal lifestyle that could end in suicide, when you had whole life ahead of surviving the flat out busy crossing in Tokyo, getting lost amongst the wood clad buildings in Bergen, Norway, and swimming in the blue lagoon in Iceland until your toes are shrivelled to prune. Sounds better than working and paying bills until your shrivelled to prune per ageing don't it?!


Yo. Pin it mate!


20 comments:

  1. I totally understand this perspective. I do not want to do that either. You miss out on life and following your dreams doing that just to have stability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something we really want to change for ourselves... At the moment, we're working to live and living to work... Hopefully, once we buy a house, we can shift gears a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you can shift the gears eventually! Work is partly about paying for things, yes, but to have a deeper purpose behind just labouring behind a checkout or computer is what reallly makes working worth it!

      Delete
  3. I feel like I've gotten stuck in this cycle, which is part of the reason I started my blog. I want to travel more & hope to make it my full time job by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all the best with that! I hope you get out of that cycle, it's no way to live. Wake up each morning with the intent of moving towards your dream life <3

      Delete
  4. Yeah -- when you're on your death bed, you're probably not going to say "Gee, I wish I'd paid more bills." Now, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like a lot of people lose track of why they are working. Working for the weekend or waiting for that two week vacation a year! It's about finding purpose and something that you actually love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your perspective but really? I was born to eat spiders in Cambodia? I don't think so . . . Thanks for the fun post. This reminds me that It's a Wonderful World!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I understand many don't like the idea of eating spiders because it's spiders!

      Delete
  7. This is such a refreshing post. I currently don't work, I'm a SAHM. But come August when my youngest finally goes to daycare, I need to find a job. sigh... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is good if we can have perspective of what is important and have some balance between everything.
    Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people aren't working to travel, they're working to raise their family. And that's ok because it's what they love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Part of the issue is that people are overextending themselves. Choosing to live within (or below) your means offers a great deal of freedom.

    ReplyDelete