Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Ultimate 7 Day Hygge Challenge - How I Went!


Guys! I haven't posted forever.
I used to post 7 days a week, but it took over my life and the other critical, 80% aspect of blogging: promoting and engaging.

So I decided to cut down to a manageable 1 post a week. Then I could have the rest of the week to get it out to the world and posted my recipe for S'moreo Slutty Brownies.
I relaxed over not having to post for a week, but get down to real business; promoting.
Getting it noticed.
But I didn't post the next week.
I didn't post for weeks. 
But finally, today's post is a recap on how I put this into practice, from the wonderful Sherbet Lane, in her short post on this 'challenge'.
The one and only 7 Day Hygge Challenge.
Hygge is apparently Danish for cosiness or bliss...

Although this lovely lady blogger behind Heart My Backpack told me that 'hygge' is Norwegian.
Hygge headquarters, at least Denmark is known to be and Norway could be similar.
Hygge tradionally implies cosying in the blistering cold and long nights of Scandi winters, but it's a state of mind that can be adopted anywhere, anytime.
So instead of going after the American dream, why not practice hygge?
It's much more simplistic than chasing after great wealth, in fact hygge can cost next to nothing and is often about the simple things in life. You'll get what I mean once you grasp the concept of hygge.
And per World Happiness Report, Norway and Denmark are two of the happiest countries in the world.
And they are the people who live and breathe hygge, not chasers of wealth.
Why not take after the world's happiest folks?
Yeah?

Starting with this 'challenge'! Just like riding a bike or sewing, it takes practice to accustom to this unique way of life. But bloody worth it, and I'm still learning!
Here's a recap on how I went from Monday the 10th to Sunday the 16th of April. 

Monday - have a night off from screens
I switched off beautifully early, which is a huge committment for a blogger. But when I think about it, I can be a crappy blogger who wastes time chain watching youtube, when blogging is a gig that should be worked on 'from the time you open your eyes to the time you close them.' A story for later. Anyway, I figured it would only do good not harm, and part of the 'challenge' to be bold and switch off. So I did. Sorta. I still used my phone to listen to spotify after unplugging at 3:30pm and found this novel on the community library at Coffs Central. Warning: it's very, very sad. I read just the epilogue that afternoon (because it was too abstract to understand when 14 year old me read it.)
Soon after I walked past k'pane, French-style artisian bakery, to find they were giving out free tartlets after closing. 
We all know that there's no calories in little food, and it's free, so I bloody nodded and took one.
Nibbled the baddy while looking out at over the shopping strip and grey but cosy sky.
Later walked past again and there were still some there, so I delightfully scabbed another before popping to Woolies for some stevia and almond milk to make my coffee delicious with almost no calories, then popped home.
I went to bed at a reasonable time sans stimulating screens.

But onto Tuesday - 'treat yourself to some new candles'
Uncommitted to forking out $10 for a candle, when I felt committed to doing this every week, I got a small, $2 tea light pack at Big W. It was reduced so it ended up costing $1.60aud.
Lasted only one night, but worth it for what it is!


Wednesday - 'create something'
I let the day get away, but I believe that some bliss balls/ugly critters that might have been quickly whipped up before crawling into bed.
Yah I roughed it a little.

Thursday: treat yourself to new flowers.
What I did that lovely Thurs-day (see what I did there?). After a quick but careful search, I settled on the pale yellow flowers. Yellow is an antidepressant, right?
Also properly completed yesterdays 'task' to make something, and so constructed a vision board of places I want to travel to.
Thurday was the best day of the week.
I wasn't in the office doing a 9-5 - 7+ like a properly 'adulting' millenial, I know, but times are changing.
Does that mean that I am not a proper millenial?
Do I damn fail at 'adulting'?
Anyway, I had Thursday free to ride my bike, in the glorious sunshine, get a rejuvinating hair trim, create a travel vision board and buy the flowers.
Now that's 'adulting'; doing what makes you happy.
I was the happiest on Thursday when I was footloose and fancy free to do such childish/youthful things. Not being hardpressed keeping up with the millenials; being the 'busiest' bugger on planet earth.
Anyway, that was my Thursday. It was insanely childish, un-aldult of me, but it was very, very hygge.
Hygge > 'adulting'














Friday: Movie night with popcorn, blankets and family/friends
Well. Friday the 14th of April, I attempted to watch something that was not The Witches, so I watched some of Sister Act instead. That movie was well made but didn't click for me. I stopped halfway through and went to bed. The popcorn part? I burnt popcorn, but it still tasted alright. Did not attempt any more popcorn though. The family/friends? Most of the time I was the only one watching the movie. Solid effort, but not my cup of tea.

Saturday: go for a long walk...
I bailed out of that one. I let life get in the way and the last thing on my agenda was to take a damn walk. But what if I changed that?
But I had a good day at work and the boss shouted me a coffee. Now that's hygge.

Sunday: award yourself with a pyjama day, making plans to do nothing but...
I didn't stay in my jarmies as I went out to the mountains with the family for Easter. But I wore comfy clothes and had a very lazy day stuffing my face with hot cross buns, biccies and choccies. Close enough? And speaking of Saturday, I went for a leisurely walk on Sunday and got some cheeky Tim Tams on the way, so I kind of made it up, right?

Liked it? Pin it! (and let me know if you'd like more recaps on how the hygge challenge went week after week, as I will probs be doing this every week of my life!)



3 comments:

  1. Wow! You inspired me)) Good idea to make week challenge! I must think what I will do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you took control of your life and decided to just blog once a week - that's all I do, and it works wonderfully because I still have my life off the computer!

    ReplyDelete